Wednesday 23 July 2014

My Poetry: Introduced as an Old Friend

Introduced as an Old Friend


We kissed, a wet kiss,
The last time we met
Our lips parting each others
With practiced ease
Outside a nightclub
Neither of us wanted to go in.

You pulled me away
From your friends
As I flirted with my hands
Though it had been months
And we'd both soothed our heartbreak
In other people's beds.

I only remembered it later,
After you'd introduced me
To your two girls
And the man pushing the pram
As an old friend;
We spoke of people and
Places who'd crossed our paths
Avoided all the parts
Best left to the past.

It was twelve years ago, you said
But for a second it felt
Like yesterday since you led me
Upstairs in a student house
Before we spent two years
Swimming in circles
Till you got bored and
I got fat as I mourned.

We kissed last time we met,
On the right cheek,
When we said goodbye again
As I wished you the very best
This time meaning every word.

No comments:

Post a Comment