Sunday 24 May 2015

My poetry: Bookshop

I do not want to leave,
Trapped between believing
I can read every single page
That I may understand each word,
And knowing i never can.
I have nothing
But time, free time
And yet i cannot buy,
Or steal an hour,
From this constant chatter
To loose myself in the silence
Of the hallowed pages
Between the sentences,
Make friends with new words
Feel the hug of old ones
Reappearing from nowhere.
How i long to empty my head
Allow dreams and images
To overwhelm,
I am overwhelmed
As i choose another
From the shelf, and replace it
Carefully with one hand
As if tucking a dear companion
Into a sick bed.
I do not want to leave,
For out there sadness
Is my only friend,
Dumb, inelegant, unintelligible
Sadness.
I do not want to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment