Thursday 17 December 2015

My Poetry: La Petit Mort (A Little Death)

I’ve killed you again
My little peach,
But as your breath returns
Propped on an elbow,
Bare flesh bruised you moan:
I’m a terrible lover,
That tonight, was not as good
As that night in early Autumn
When, after picking fruit from hedges,
Your purple lips tasted
The type of little death 
Which makes martyrs of fools,,
Adulterers of the damned,
And perverts of the lonely.
That tonight,
Like an amateur origamist,
I was just lucky
To produce fireworks

From the folds of your flesh.

But by what means
Would you prefer to die next?
Maybe I’ll choke you
Like the teenage ingénue
From a Streaker Named Desire
Screaming ‘La Petite Mort’
In a high false crescendo.
Or perhaps your own hand
Is more to your taste,
Reenact the Karma Sutra
By candlewick.
Or maybe dress up
Pretend the bed is our stage,
You be the Nun, I’ll be the vicar

And we’ll reinvent original sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment