Friday 1 April 2016

My Poetry: The Fire By Which You Set Earth Alight

Her picture sits on the mantle-piece,
Next to a puddle of red wax.
The memory of its flame
Illuminates the shadows on my heart
When the empty bed
Leaves me unable to sleep,
As the nightingale rests
And the metallic moon hums.

I used to re-read our letters
By that candle’s light,
Every word an embrace,
But, long ago I stopped counting the days
Since that flame burnt out.

I remember Arles,
You telling me all about Van Gogh,
On the banks of the Rhone
Where you spilt red wine down my pants.
Where I snapped that picture
As we set fire to your fears,
While planning to conquer the world.
Your flame red hair growing back,
Your smile returning like a sunrise.

But that was then,

Before the fire by which you set earth alight was extinguished.


No comments:

Post a Comment