Thursday 12 May 2016

My Poetry: Meditations from a bus window

I

So many things crowd me
Ideas, people, hang-ups
Until I'm too numb to see what
The movement between heaven
And the sea means.
Merchants peddle lies
Gift-wrapped as truth;
Our neighbours’ scared
To point out the fabric of our reality
Is woven from the same falsity
As the emperor’s new clothes.
Birds drift silent as shadows
Between the faint stars
And milky afternoon moon,
They know gravity is arbitrary
And landing dangerous
Once you've learnt how to fly.
The fishes swim
Elegant as a final farewell
Carving their way
Through the steel cold river,
Still as an old photograph,
The big picture
Framed in the space above them.

II

I'm st dscnnctd
Th wrld rlls pst lk
A strght to TV movie
Behnd th drty wndw.
Th yrs dispr
Lk snw
On yr tngue.
Lng ag i stppd
Cntng th mnths
each dy a lng sries of nghts

III

I watch three kids dancing
In a tatty park,
And feel sad.
I think of the kid
In the picture frame
Above my mums mantlepiece
Who had no idea he would
Turn grey and so tired,
That one day the crazyiness
Would subside like chalk cliffs
Eroding a year at a time,
Leaving nothing but a shipwreck
And an unfulfilled daydream.

The view from the bus window across the River Adur, heading into Shoreham across the A259, one cold December day 2015.



No comments:

Post a Comment