Monday 15 August 2016

My Poetry: Late Night Apology

You once handcuffed me
with daisy chains
under weakening skies
as the last pale blue drained
from summer hum
in a suburb of a city
I'd never heard of, 
till we moved here.

Now atop that lonely hill 
in a lazy field
I empty foreign beer bottles.
I finish the first
but my rage is till thirsty.
Drinking alone is better, I think
than not drinking at all
and I think of you
how you were right,
I'm just a Freudian cliché
with no alibi
for my behavioural trends.
But long ago I stopped
questioning myself
over such petty crimes
as I've no excuse, anyways
so know my buckled tongue
never meant to twist your insides.

Before you offered me a wing
to hide beneath
I survived on bread and booze,
so as I get drunk
on this lonely hill in a hazy field
I remember how
it could've been
all those years when,
we strived to survive with dignity intact,
wasted youth spent experimenting,
and those goodbyes elicited
with low singing and beer swigging.
Suppose some lessons are learnt
the slow way.
Suppose someday I’ll drink wine
but for now the beer is working fine
as I pretend my soul is not up for rent

and the past is just an illusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment