Sunday 24 November 2013

My Poetry: We Used to Pretend

We Used to Pretend


We used to pretend
Eros scattered the stars,
like diamond confetti
to mark the marriage of our hearts.
But they seem dimmer,
now pretending is of no use.

I used to recite you verse
under observant moon,
soft words conjured up
to honour your magical beauty.
But all nouns are useless,
now words are of no use.

Now all I see is light
reflected from rocks,
when my heart softens
to words aimed at heavens above.
Your gentle headstone
in the graveyard of my soul.

10 comments:

  1. Sad end to romance, if not to a life.
    Reflects on everything, doesn't it?
    Subtle write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely and sad write--but maybe much truth here--

    ReplyDelete
  3. whew...i wanna say i saw it coming...and did not want to look away...hard...we may even have those words to say but the words mean nothing if it is too late to share them...one of my greatest fears are the things i leave unsaid...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh it started out to good.. such a sad end.. the loss of loved ones.. really as Brian said we saw it coming.. as if good things are never meant to last...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The gravestone got me…used to be's forever in our hearts...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a powerfully sad ending, Paul, but so well written. Welcome to dVerse. I hope you like what you find with us.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very beautiful. The ending, so very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is beautiful...I don't think it's ever too late...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for the kind words, glad ou enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete