Wednesday 17 February 2016

My Poetry: I Watch The Ships Pass

I watch the ships pass
While holding your favourite flower
For Love, like friendship,
Is one long monologue.
I remember the Bookshop
And Kefalonia,
And Boundary Road
Where you introduced me as an old friend.
Remember how we shared kisses
That year Christmas missed us,
Or you singing
A ballad from a hospital bed
About wasting your youth, on being young;
And how, soaked in sadness,
I hid from the sun
An abstract reduction of hope,
A wildflower with no earth.

Now,
After the mourners depart
I recite notes from a Thursday morning
To an empty chair,
The prophets of love
Turned back into ghosts,
Notes on a destiny, ignored
Like a late night apology.
Why? Does the lie and truth
Move like glass
We were the daydreamers once
Now it’s easier to be lonely
By candle light on a gin evening.



No comments:

Post a Comment