Thursday 11 February 2016

My Poetry: A Train Stole The Silence

This poem takes place on the shores of Lake Geneva, Switzerland

Back at tired hotel room,
I become bored of watching
Paint flake off the radiator,
Room haunted by your perfume
Pillows that smell
Of your shampoo.

So pull on jeans to escape,
To edge of the great lake
And that big  friend grew bluer
As the sun bleached the sky
Shades of autumn pastel,
Till finally it was black with grief
From inhaling my anxiety

And the slaps of water on harbour wall
Cried: 'Boy I've known sadness
Only the mountains can understand,
So go get a beer and know death
Will not answer your questions,
But silence is not what it promises
And loneliness is poison
Be careful what you wish for'.

So, because some advice
Is worth taking
I stop by an oak top bar
Where two men and a drum machine
Play lift music to a half empty room

And Franklin glares from picture frame
Young, sad and beautiful as a sunset.
And by the third I didn't feel English
And by the fifth I feel French,
Spiking olives as big and plumb
As a new mother's nipple

And watch a salt and pepper man
Remove his gold and leave his friends
For the dark brunette.
And I think of old Hank
And order another half,
He'd know how to conquer
The fear of you not being here.

'Drink the middle shelf and
Buy that brunette a beer', he'd say
Just to screw with that guy
In his five thousand franc suit.

But instead I head back to today's home
Stop on the way to watch
Silent clouds cloak snow capped mountain
The lake undulating at their feet
Like a lover under finger tips,

And realise tenderness can be
For people like me,
Least while my back is turned
To Montreux and the world.
  



No comments:

Post a Comment