Tuesday 1 March 2016

My poetry: Boundary Road 6:15pm

The wind cuts down the high street
Slabs of grey terrace houses wince.
I feel it burn my ears,
I pull the coat’s collars closer
To my peeling neck
To protect against the winter
Which fills my bones like a bad dream.
Hid beneath the iron confines
Of England’s sky
I’ve not seen the sun in weeks:
Day being just another shade of night.

I watch a woman play piano in a blank room
Over a kabab shop,
I imagine her fingers finding
Dark Germanic notes, though
I hear nothing but cars bustle past
And sirens serenade the evening.
This town is not built for beauty,
Too cloaked in the shadow of the docks
Which even when the sun shines
Casts a shadow seven generations long
Across the cracked pavements
And stale pubs
Filled with 5pm drinkers
Lined up like dominoes, nowhere to fall.

Above the bookies a woman paces the room
Clothes hung like curtains,
Slowly drying in the window,
Guess she thinks the sun will return
One day,
Optimism a virtue on this street
Where the wind blows

But the times never change.

This is the sister poem to Boundary Road 11.15am. You can read it here: http://paulcromptonpoetry.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/my-poetry-boundary-road-1115am.html

No comments:

Post a Comment