Tuesday 8 March 2016

My Poetry: Swap Whiskey For Wine

I'm drinking whiskey
Like its beer,
Sitting silently trying
To quench a thirst
Thats more than just a dry throat.

I think of switching to wine
But can't think of a good reason
To put down the highball,
So I nod at the waitress
And slam another note
On the bar.

He's cooler than me,
And younger, and all those things
Age tells me doesn't matter

The watch face is swimming,
Time is rushing,
It's 4:15pm
And I'm wondering
If it'll be me or it which wins the race
To five o'clock

I hear a song
On the jukebox I've not heard
Since swaping beers for whiskey,
One night stands
For Saturday nights alone,
Sharing hours with the waitress
Saying fare thee well
To my paypacket

The singer reminds me
I was once young
Knew all I needed to know
About love and sex,
I wish I was that dumb now,
So I order another
Whiskey and wait

Remember how I swapped lovers
More often than my jeans,
But some of us grew out of it,
Got wives and things
Swapped obsessions of the body
For those of the heart,
And now they beat more peacefully
And more quietly
And less sharp
And more happily

Perhaps it's time

I swap the whiskey for wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment