Saturday 16 February 2013

My Poetry: Bartender, just one more (Leonard Cohen lovesong for the road)


You whisper to me,
so the bartender can’t hear,
"I can feel
the bare bones of love
rattling
through the ancient catacombs
of my soul",
but you know
as well as I do
that holding out,
with all your might,
for a teenage feeling
you’ve no right
to believe in,
will only drain
the colour from your face
faster than
you suck at that glass in your hand.
You sigh, and look to the floor,
and jam your hand
in your pocket
and cry to the bartender:
"One more!
just one more for the road,
and change the jukebox
to a Leonard Cohen love song."

6 comments:

  1. nice....thanks for the link...great piece...a teenage feeling you have no right to believe in...great line...and felt the jam of the hand in the pocket as well...love me some leonard..

    you should drop this in the links @ dversepoets.com -- would be great to have others read it as well..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, wow, wow!! Does this poem ever do it for me. I hear you. One more Leonard Cohen song. Yup, those were definitely the days. I smile with you and this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bar... what a wonderful place for Leonard Cohen... and the jukebox playing sets a wonderful tone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very cool..."I can feel
    the bare bones of love
    rattling
    through the ancient catacombs
    of my soul".... and a teenage feeling you've no right to believe in...oh and how could we ever stop believing in love...yeah...another love song for me as well please...for the road...loved it sir

    ReplyDelete
  5. for a teenage feeling
    you’ve no right
    to believe in,
    will only drain
    the colour from your face

    The verse is lean and insightful. Can't ask for more!

    ReplyDelete